Monday, February 11, 2008

Michael Clayton

I could never be a lawyer. It’s too expensive, it takes too much studying, I’m not good at public speaking, and as Michael Clayton taught me, it’s too dangerous. If I want my car blown up, I’ll go to the demolition derby.

Not just an educational experience, Michael Clayton is a great movie, and a nominee for Oscar’s Finest Honor to boot. Atonement may have been groomed to win the award, but it’s a movie like Michael Clayton that you really want to see win it. It’s smart and unassuming, features grand performances, and is understated in a “little engine that could” way. We as Americans naturally root for the underdog, and Michael Clayton has a lot to root for.

It stars George Clooney in the title role, and he’s his usual spectacular self in it, but the reason you’re going to see the movie is Tom Wilkinson. And if it isn’t, it should be. To use an analogy from a college professor of mine, Wilkinson takes the top of your head off and throws it into outer space in this movie. He plays Arthur Edens, a top-notch lawyer at a top-notch firm who’s a little nutty… Alright, he’s totally freakin’ insane. He speaks the very first words of the movie, while the screen is still black, and it’s clear from the get-go that this is man who’s frighteningly bonkers. But he’s not bonkers in the off-the-wall, silly sort of way. Insanity is really easy for an actor to play badly, but to play it convincingly takes a real pedigree, which Wilkinson proves that he is. Seriously, if he doesn’t win Best Supporting Actor, I’m moving to Canada.

But let’s not forget George Clooney, who plays close to type, but plays it well. Michael is dark, brooding and jaded, which George does very well. His distance from his son, his weakness to addiction, and his lack of ambition all play to Clooney’s strengths, and I can’t actually imagine anyone better for this role. Tilda Swinton is very sympathetic, and plays her blood-sucking corporate juggernaut with complete humanness and vulnerability. Writer/director Tony Gilroy, while peripherally guilty of being within 500 yards of Armageddon (he did some work on the screenplay), does very well with this one. Despite that this is his first time in the director’s chair, he sets up some brilliant shots. On the same token, he has great actors to work with, and with dynamos like Clooney and Wilkinson, a large chuck of the work is done for him. The script, penned by Gilroy, reveals a lot of skill in the craft, with smart dialog and great pacing.

I can’t say if this deserves the Best Pic Oscar, as I’ve only seen one other film that got the nod. I’m hoping to see two more by the 24th. But I can confidently say that it deserves to be seen. Wilkinson is phenomenal in it, but the other elements that go into a Best Picture nod are there, too. It was a little hard to keep up with, but I managed to do it. It’s not flashy or overblown, but instead delivers a subtle and rewarding package that makes you glad you spent your $8.00 on it.

Iconic lines:
“Pretend it’s not just madness!”
“I am Shiva, the god of death.”
“Do I look like I’m negotiating?”

22 Rating: 14

Particle Man

8 comments:

Dr. Worm said...

Fully with you on the rating and the overall assessment, PM, I just want to add two notes:

1)It may be $8.00 for a movie out there in the sticks, but us cityfolk pay $10.50 to see movies. (But I still say this movie is worth the price.)

2)To me what made Wilkinson's performance so brain-splatteringly amazing was the fact that you were never sure if he had gone crazy or if he had achieved a higher level of sanity. Was he a genius or a madman? He displayed evidence of both in each line he delivered, and I think I'll move to Canada with you if he doesn't win Best Supporting.

Moshe Reuveni said...

Excuse me for saying this, but you two made me want to see the film go down in the Oscars just to see if you would live up to your words.

Stormy Pinkness said...

LOL Moshe! I had quite a different reaction to this movie. I could see it being really good and the acting was really good. However, it is not my type of movie, which is funny for someone who talked about being a lawyer for so long. I think Wilkinson's performance was awesome and I agree with DM's description of the role. As I said I can see why people would like it, but not my kind of film.

Neal Paradise said...

actually, DW, it was only $8.00 because i bought the tickets online. had i just gone up to window, it would have been 7. i guess living in the sticks has some advantages.

Mike said...

This film kicked so much ass. It's not that 2007 was such a terrible year for film.....it seems like all the great films were released in the last month.

Dr. Worm said...

Toronto, here I come.

Moshe Reuveni said...

I hear movie tickets are much cheaper there. I'd go for Montreal, myself.

Moshe Reuveni said...

On a more serious note, you're over-importancing the Oscars way too much (hey, if Shakespeare could invent words, so can I). Why should you care what a group of people mostly interested in patting its own back thinks?