Monday, February 04, 2008

Juno

Imagine being pregnant at 16. You might not imagine that situation to have many laughs or moments of levity. However, Juno, starring Ellen Page, proved to be the exception to this rule.
We are introduced to Juno as she guzzles Sunny Delight and waxes poetic about a chair in the front yard. We learn that she had sex with her "boyfriend” recently and suspects that she may be pregnant. She walks to the local convenience store where the clerk, played by Rainn Wilson, tell her that she should stop taking pregnancy tests because they are going show that she is pregnant. Juno then goes on to tell those in her life about the baby and deals with the decision of whether or not to abort the baby and the ramifications of that decision.
I was not expecting this movie to be funny. I had not seen many advertisements. I was told by a co-worker that it was funny, but our senses of humor tend to differ. However, the number of laugh out loud moments caught me totally by surprise, from Rainn Wilson’s one scene in the movie to Ellen Page and Michael Cera’s conversations to Allison Janney and her dog obsession I found myself laughing a whole lot.
One person I feel I must give kudos to is Jennifer Garner, who plays the prospective adoptive mother of Juno's baby. Her acting pleasantly surprised me. Her character is someone who is at first seen as extremely controlling but as the film continues you see deeper into her persona and begin to understand where that controlling demeanor stems from. While Jennifer Garner’s character seems to grow as the movie goes on, Jason Bateman, who plays her husband, seems to regress as the movie goes on. He starts out very likable but as you see his character more in the movie his sketchiness definitely comes out.
While I was impressed by those surprising portrayals, the one that blew me away was Ellen Page. Her character in this movie goes through a growing process that is atypical at the age of 16 but she portrays it in a very believable way. Most movies that have the characters going through situations that make them grow up, force their characters to grow up too soon. This is deftly avoided in this movie. I think Ellen Page definitely deserves the nomination for Best Actress. I was stunned by her portrayal of something so sensitive in a comedic way. She is an exquisite actress.
Immediately after the movie, I gave it a rating of 11. However, after thinking about the movie for this review that rating has significantly gone up to a 16. There was excellent acting and the plot was interesting and entertaining. In short this movie had all the ingredients of an excellent movie.

8 comments:

Dr. Worm said...

I like Juno quite a bit. It hit all the right funny/touching notes, and the characters were all flawed yet likable, which is no mean feat.

My only criticism is that it's too perfect by half. The dialogue is just a hair too clever and snappy, and the ending was tied up just a smidge too neatly.

Wicked Little Critta said...

SP, could you expand on the plot a bit for me?

Mike said...

I also liked Juno a lot. I don't think that Mark was sketchy, but that he was trapped in a marriage with the wrong woman, and that he was slowly realizing that. But that was one of two major plot holes for me.

-What was Mark doing with her in the first place?
-And what got Juno pregnant? Did she just not use protection?

Dr. Worm said...

YRF, I'm a bit baffled at the "plot holes" you indicate.

Yes, it becomes clear that maybe Mark and Vanessa aren't right for each other. But the fact that the movie doesn't go into their origins as a couple surely doesn't qualify as a plot hole. You must be able to imagine--at least theoretically--a couple who married only to later find out they were wrong for each other.

As far as Juno getting pregnant, I got the sense that they just didn't use protection, but I don't see the ambiguity there as anything close to a plot hole, at least not in the sense of a "gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot" (Wikipedia).

Moshe Reuveni said...

I haven't watched Juno and it would probably take months until I do, but I'm curious about granting it a score of 38 out of 44. Is it really that good?
Where would that leave films that are true classics like Star Wars (the real Star Wars), Lord of the Rings, and The Good the Bad and the Ugly to name just three?
Or to put it another way - is Juno in the same league?

Dr. Worm said...

It's a trifling point, Moshe, but a 16 score is actually equivalent to 39 out of 45 (22 positive integers + 22 negative integers + 0).

And I won't speak for SP, but I'd feel comfortable giving this movie a 14 on the 22 scale (or 37 out of 45). I don't know that it's particularly epic or memorable like the movies you mentioned, but everything it does, it does well. I think 14 is a good number for such a movie, and it leaves plenty of space for the upper-echelon films you mentioned in the higher reaches of the 22 scale.

Mike said...

For a comedy, yeah, I think that it's that good.

CmdLuke said...

I personally can't wait for the Juno game! (WTF?)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6185691.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews