Monday, September 10, 2007

Anna and The King

In the primitive country of Siam, an English schoolteacher has arrived to serve as tutor for the children of the King of Siam. Anna Leonowens (Jodie Foster) arrives with the hope that she will be able to move on without her husband in this new country. Through several arguments with King Mongkut (Chow Yun-Fat) and his advisors, the two begin to admire each other but refuse to give into their feelings. Also, a concubine of the King is forced to choose between her loyalties to the King and being with the man she loves.
This is the plot of the 1999 film Anna and The King. Some of you may think that this plot seems familiar. Well, it is. This story has been told a few different times, most famously in the musical The King and I starring Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner. Now, most people who know me, and know my love for musicals, would assume that this film is a musical update, if you will, of the 1956 classic. But it's not. This is a straight adaptation of the tale of the love between a king and a woman who considered herself to be “the equal of a king.”
Jodie Foster and Chow Yun-Fat are both great in this movie. Foster is wonderful as Anna, and shows every bit the independence and protective walls that the character calls for. Chow Yun-Fat also is spot on as a king who is dealing with the modernization of his country and how to bring “enlightened” ways to his realm. These are just two of the great performers in this movie. The King’s children are adorable, his concubines beautiful, his advisers old and crotchety, and his generals battle-ready but not exactly trustworthy.
Anna and the King was a great movie. The scenery was beautiful, the score was entrancing, and the acting wonderful. I found myself just lost in the story. Although I also loved the 1956 version, I found it easier to lose myself in what seemed to be a more realistic interpretation of the story. Perhaps it was that no one was stopping to express his or her feelings in song.
Surprisingly, I originally had no intention of seeing this movie, but a friend of mine convinced me to watch it with her and I was hooked. About a week later I bought both the CD so I could listen to enchanting music again and the DVD so I could see it whenever I wanted--and so I could see Chow Yun-Fat whenever I wanted to (He’s hot!). What regal rating would I give a movie that had this kind of effect on me? 16.

4 comments:

Neal Paradise said...

probing question, SP. if this movie was easier to lose yourself in (your words) and more enjoyable (my words) because no one expressed their thoughts and feelings through song, then why do you love musicals so much, where people regularly, consistently, and incomprehensibly (to me) express themselves in song?

jbodster said...

Did you know that the kid actor who plays Anna's son also plays the part of Draco Malfoy?

Wicked Little Critta said...

I did!
I liked this movie, though it's definitely not for people who are cynical about romantic movies. I also felt like there could be a little more chemistry between the two leads.

Stormy Pinkness said...

Good question PM. I can also lose myself in a musical. But I guess lately my taste has leaned more towards non musical movies than musical, I go trhough it everyone once in awhile. I still love musicals, we're just on a break from each other, which means I am free to watch regular movies and enjoy the background music as much as I enjoy the songs in musicals, but don't tell the muscials ;)

Jbod, I actually had no idea and I was watching the movie the other night thinking "where do I know that kid from?" Now that I know I can't believe I missed it!

WLC, I actually thought the chemisrty was great between the two leads, I could feel the attraction and I enjoyed the subtle flirting.