Wednesday, June 14, 2006

X-Men: The Last Stand (Stormy Pinkness)

“I don’t remember Patrick Stewart ever being that young! I don’t remember Magneto being that flamboyantly gay in the first 2 movies!” These were my first thoughts during X-Men: The Last Stand. I was very excited to see this movie. I LOVED the first two movies and I figured that this one wouldn’t be any different. As May 26th approached, I started to get really anxious about the movie; I had loved the first two so much that I could not wait to see the third. However, after the movie came out I started to read the reviews, and they weren’t too encouraging. I knew there was a new director on this film, but I didn’t think it would make a difference. Of course, within the first 30 minutes of the movie, I realized the childlike innocence of it all.
X-Men: The Last Stand is the third episode of the X-Men trilogy, which tells the story of Charles Xavier and his school of mutants. This time we find our heroes faced with the dilemma of whether or not to get rid of their mutancy. A “cure” has been discovered that suppresses the gene that causes the mutation. While back at Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters, Scott and Logan continue to mourn the death of Jean Grey, who sacrificed herself to save her friends, while the others try move on from an invasion of the school (which happened in the second episode). Scott, still haunted by memories of his love for Jean, feels drawn to the site of her death and is met with dire consequences. Unnerved by Scott’s continued absence, Logan and Storm fly to Alkali Lake and find not Scott, but the very friend who helped them escape from being drowned: Jean! Shortly after Jean returns to the Mansion to be treated by the professor, we are introduced to the Phoenix, Jean’s alter-ego. Also introduced to us is Beast, an old friend of Charles and Storm who is the Secretary of Mutant Affairs. Of course, Charles and his students try to find a peaceful way of combating this so-called cure as Magneto and his followers decide to use violence to challenge the same thing. What happens? I guess you will have to see the movie to find out. ; P
My favorite part of the movie was the theme that it had. Should the mutants accept the cure and conform to what everyone else thinks they should? Or should they stay true to how they were created? I loved the resonance it had with our society. We are told that we should all be the same way. Some conform, while others say “Screw it!” Either you way you choose, there are consequences to face. Should we get angry like Magneto and try to make everyone like we are? Or, if that does not work, should we try to hurt anyone in our way? Should we be like Rogue and possibly conform because it would make life easier? The choice needs to be made and there are repercussions for any option.
To put it plainly, I liked the movie, but I did not like what was happening. Throughout the whole movie there were moments of thinking “NO!”, “Wait, maybe……” and “WHAT?!” I saw all of this happening but wanted it not to happen to the characters that I had grown to love. With movie sequels there is always a chance that characters do not hold your interest as much as they once did. Luckily this did not happen in the movie. The characters that were in this movie are the same ones that I have enjoyed watching for the past two movies. The movie was well done, but could have focused a bit more on plot than cool special effects. Mr. Ratner (the new director) either felt that there was no need to expand upon the story or that the budget was already mostly spent on the all-star cast or the special effects. I enjoyed the special effects that were in this movie, but why couldn’t character development and special effects be balanced? All of the characters were developed, but I feel they could have been more. Overall, I give X-Men a 10. It was well done and had a very good ensemble cast. It shows that we all have to make decisions for ourselves, because who knows what kinds of people are out there to make them for us?

No comments: