Monday, September 28, 2009

Suspiria


Those who know me personally (or have read this blog before)are at least passingly familiar with my tendency to kvetch about the sad state of my favorite film genre, horror. So, there's no need to reiterate that old rant here, save that gore and shock are favored over atmosphere. But I've never talked much about films that did have that atmosphere in this space.....but that's changing. I'll start with one of my favorite films, and one of the most iconic, yet somewhat obscure, horror films ever made: Dario Argento's Suspiria.
Suspiria is the story of Suzy Bannion (Phantom of the Paradise's Jessica Harper), an American ballet student who arrives in Germany to study at a prestigious ballet school.....that may be run by a coven of witches. Like most of Dario Argento's films, the plot of Suspiria is not it's strong suit, though it bears mentioning that the story and acting are tighter here than in most of Argento's other works. What Suspiria's great strength is, is visual. One, it was the last film ever made in Technicolor, which I find a lot warmer than modern coloring systems. Two, this film has some of the strangest interiors I've ever seen, as far as the ballet school. It can be said in certain films that the location is an actual character......this was never truer than it is in Suspiria. This film has some of the strangest, most flamboyant sets you will ever see. Three, the lighting in Suspiria is the most dramatic I've ever seen in a film. Scenes are bathed entirely in bright, primary reds, blues, yellows, etc. Four, what Argento lacks in the department of structure and ability to direct actors, he makes up for in spades in the department of setting up a shot. His visual style remains largely consistent across his catalogue, which is notable considering that he has worked with several directors of photography. All of the above factors combine to make Suspiria the best-looking film I've ever seen, in any genre.
Special mention has to go to the soundtrack by Argento proteges/mainstays Goblin, who also scored the original Dawn of the Dead. The eerie main theme, with it's arpeggiated pedal point progression, is a clear inspiration to later iconic horror themes like Halloween and Phantasm.......and that's before you factor in the unusual use of the bouzouki and tabla on the title track. The rest of the soundtrack is about as strange, but you can't really get the impact from me telling you about it....you need to hear it. It's truly decades ahead of it's time.
There are, however, a few things that keep Suspiria from being counted amongst the all-time great horror film greats by more mainstream tastes.......the events of the film aren't as tight as they could be. There's a lot that happens, mostly character death, that does little to nothing to move the story along or raise the stakes. Also, some may find the performances somewhat dated.
Despite that, Suspiria is a remarkable film, and one that I heartily recommend. I give Suspiria an 18 out of 22 on the 22 scale.

7 comments:

Neal Paradise said...

good review, YRF, but i have a question. what makes this movie worth seeing? is it just that it's a classic and i should see it because it will enrich me as a person? what if i don't like horror? would i like this movie even if i DON'T like modern horror films?

Stormy Pinkness said...

When was this movie made? The reason I am asking is because of your comments about the sets. In old films from 1920-1930 I have noticed that the sets are actually characters of their own and are designed in a specific way to communicate something to the viewer. Is that what you think is going on in this film?

Mike said...

Stormy Pinkness: Suspiria was filmed in '75, released around 76-77, IIRC. And yeah, it continues the German Expressionsist tradition of having the sets serve a function beyond being a backdrop for the action. Here, they're just odd, and amazing to look at.

Particle Man: Because it's visually striking...you will note that I called this "the best-looking film I've ever seen, in any genre." Some might find that hyperbole, but I think that is just is what it is. As far as your other questions, yes, it's a classic. If you don't like horror, you may or may not like it, but it is richer (at least on a visual level) than other horror films. Also, I wouldn't consider it "modern" horror....it's too old for that.

Neal Paradise said...

no, i wasn't saying it was modern. just the opposite, actually. i was thinking, "i don't like the modern horror movies, so what about a horror movie that's NOT modern? will i like that?"

Mike said...

Gotcha. I'd say for the most part that most "modern" horror film overemphasize gore and violence over an atmosphere of creepiness, doom, or dread.

Wicked Little Critta said...

Ok, I'm intrigued, but I wish I knew a little bit more about the plot. But maybe if it isn't too substantial there's not much else to share?
I'm a fan of atmospheric horror as well, but does this one use any of the gore factor at all?

Mike said...

Hmm. I would say there's very little gore in the film. There are about two somewhat gruesome parts, but they're over pretty quick. I would say it's less gory than Night of the Living Dead. It's probably one of the least violent of Argento's films.