Thursday, May 03, 2007

Hot Fuzz (Stormy Pinkness)

Hot Fuzz was a different sort of experience for me. After seeing it in the theaters I was impressed by the movie, but not to an overwhelming extent. However, as I continued to think about the movie, my opinion of it improved. But first, let’s look at what Hot Fuzz is.
Nicholas Angel is a top cop in London. He does everything he can to make sure every lawbreaker pays the price. While he is excellent at his job, his excellence reflects badly on the other officers in London. So, in an effort to make themselves look better, they give Nick a promotion that reassigns him to a quiet little village, Sandford, where the greatest problem seems to be a MIA swan. Nicholas also gets stuck with a new partner who really is not quite on top of his game. After a few fatal accidents happen in the town, Nicholas becomes convinced that these were not accidents, but murders.
Obviously, Hot Fuzz is a dark comedy. Or at least that’s how it was billed when I went to see it. Also, it’s British, which can take some getting used to. I thought that was my problem: Sometimes I find British comedy funny and sometimes I don’t. So this was the reason in my mind that I was bored for the first part of the movie. However, I think what it came down to was the fact that I wanted to see some shooting and some action and didn’t want to sit through the exposition to set up the action. Now that I am in a different mood, and thinking back on the movie, it was not boring at all.
I have been thinking about this movie for two weeks, which is a good accomplishment for the movie, or really anything that can hold my attention span longer than a minute. I have also been thinking of how to try to describe this film and the only word I can think of is “ridiculous.” While this trait is not always a good thing, in this case it was. This movie was ridiculously entertaining and enlightening. It taught you that things are not always as they appear, and in a hilarious way, of course. All of the actors were great, from the sinister shop owner played by Timothy Dalton, to the bumbling sidekick portrayed by Nick Frost.
Immediately after I saw this movie I was asked to give it a rating. At the time, I gave it a 12. However, after further thought, I think I need to bump its rating up to a 15. It was funny and entertaining and, once again, delightfully ridiculous.

2 comments:

Moshe Reuveni said...

I haven't seen Hot Fuzz yet, but it was made by the same people who did Shawn of the Dead and the TV series Spaced, both of which I have found to be stupidly and ridiculously funny.

Stormy Pinkness said...

I did not see Shaun of the Dead so I was not sure what to expect from Hot Fuzz. but I did enjoy the fun of the movie.