Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Shopgirl

Initial Reaction: Did that movie have Steve Martin in it?

As the Shopgirl DVD was held in front of my face at Blockbuster, I was intrigued. Steve Martin and Claire Danes? Interesting… As I remember, the cover said something about it being funny, and I’ve never seen a Steve Martin movie I didn’t get a good couple of laughs out of. Sure, why not?

You ever meet one of those unlikable people that you like? No, I didn’t type that wrong, I’m serious. Have you ever met someone that bugs you in so many ways, and you could make a list of the reasons why you shouldn’t like them, but for some reason you do? They’re annoying. They never shut up. They always criticize you. They couldn’t chew any louder if they tried. Why do you like them? And yet, the next day you miss them and can’t stop yourself from calling them up.

I liked this movie, but didn’t want to like it. Even now as I write this review, I want to criticize it, inflate its flaws, maybe even create some. I wouldn’t see it again, and I wouldn’t even recommend it to many people. But for some reason, I liked it.

Let me explain. This wasn’t a funny movie, which totally derailed my movie train. Looking at Steve Martin’s face and not expecting to laugh took some getting used to, and even hearing his voice as the narrator made me smirk for absolutely no reason. But the mood of the film was not a comedic one. The silly, laugh-out-loud moments were few and far between, and I can only remember one of those parts involving Steve Martin’s character. Shopgirl had a very distinct mood. The music really did it for me, it painted this mood clearly and beautifully, filling me with a sense of bittersweet love and desire …

The movie Shopgirl went where most movies avoid going when it put two potential lovers in the life of its main character, Mirabelle Buttersfield (Claire Danes). These kinds of movies can leave people with a bitter taste in their mouths that “fate” might have absolutely nothing to do with finding love, and that actually being in true love is our own personal choice. (Perish the thought.) I actually appreciated this, but on the other hand I do understand the draw of a story whose lovers, no matter what the circumstances, will end up in each others arms in the end. I guess.

I really like Claire Danes. Maybe not the most versatile actress in the world, but I think she does what she does well. She plays the good-yet-tragic Danes character, and you can’t help but like her. She’s just an average young woman on her own, dreaming of having a love that is fulfilling and true. Not surprisingly, she gets put into the path of Jeremy (Jason Schwartzman). This guy is a fool. I actually at one point pleaded with the movie to change its mind in the choice of romantic interest #1, because this guy is the least charming, least socially-polished guy I’ve ever seen play a romantic lead in a film. Plus, he’s not that attractive. He doesn’t seem to have much potential for anything, nevermind making it with the likeable Danes. I will say, however, that Schwartzman was amazingly successful in his role… I was actually genuinely embarrassed for him several times.

Alright, so Steve Martin? Very surprising. He plays the rich, older man who enters Mirabelle’s life and sweeps her off her feet. It’s really no contest at first, Mirabelle has her head on straight enough to see that Ray, a rich, gentle, caring and polite man, knocks Jeremy out of the ring. But who is right for her?

It seems obvious, but then it isn’t. Both men love Mirabelle, but she only wants one of them: Ray. Ray, however, is older and doesn’t want anything serious or long-term with Mirabelle. He basically wants to get laid whenever he’s in town. But he’s everything a girl wants in a man, and she believes that he loves her and will come around. Jeremy goes off on his own “quest” to try and find himself, and while he does change for the better in many ways, he still remains himself, and a part of himself is still crazy about Mirabelle.

Shopgirl made me uncomfortable because it focused on the fact that love can come from very unexpected places and people, and sometimes we don’t recognize it. It’s nice as an audience to just be spoon-fed a story and know that your expectations will be fulfilled. It’s a nice escape from a reality that always takes us by surprise. Shopgirl moved away from meeting expectations, and just evolved. Because of this, I appreciated Steve Martin’s honesty with us, it’s nice to not be lied to. But at the same time, I enjoy escaping reality sometimes. Reality, after all, is messy.

Rating: 6

In any case, I liked it, but I wouldn’t see it again and I won’t recommend it to you, unless you are intrigued by this review. If you are, go and see it, and let me know what you think. I give Shopgirl a 6 on the -22 to 22 scale. It was a good story that was well done and well acted, but seeing it was like hearing my mother tell me that my boyfriend is no good—a reality check I never asked for.

3 comments:

Neal Paradise said...

did you know, Critta, that Steve Martin actually wrote the screenplay, and wrote the novel that the screenplay is based on? it must be a pet project for him. he's kind of like Zach Braff with Garden State; a very funny guy making a non-funny movie.

Wicked Little Critta said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wicked Little Critta said...

I did know about Martin's novella that the movie is based on. I'd be interested in reading it, if I weren't so busy watching movies. ;P Maybe this is the start of a new Steve Martin Era...