Thursday, March 23, 2006

In America

Initial reaction: (Relieved sigh, wiping away some tears.) "That was really good."


In
America takes the typical heartwarming, family film and gives it life. It embraces experiences and emotions that are important to all families, without making them cliché or saccharine sweet. It isn't the type of film that makes you roll your eyes and inwardly say "Ah, yes, a family film like all the other family films," even though in many ways it is. In no time I was hopelessly caught up in the lives of the characters and rooting for them to come out unscathed in the end.


The story is about an Irish immigrant family that we follow through their painstaking journey in a new country. Sarah and Johnny move their family of four to Manhattan, wanting to make a new life for themselves and their daughters, Christy and Ariel, not long after the death of their youngest child, Frankie. It is a world full of hope, but also incredible hardship from the very beginning. Samantha Morton plays Sarah in a wonderful appearance of a mother who will do anything to keep her daughters happy and hopeful. She, along with littlest actress Emma Bolger, were the only two parts of this film that kept me from throwing my hands up in despair due to the seemingly never-ending roadblocks and challenges they faced. Morton portrays the character in an expert way, as it wouldn't have taken much to ruin it.


In general, I felt that the acting in this film was absolutely stellar. The two child actresses completely steal this movie. This is especially true for Emma Bolger who plays Ariel. With her angelic face, captivating Irish brogue and humorous quirks, I found myself completely won over. Without the awkwardness that many times comes with the territory of child actors, Emma Bolger was refreshing and completely enthralling. The older girl, Sarah Bolger, plays a very different role as Christy, and plays it well. She is the oldest child in this hurting family, and carries this hurt with her throughout the story. Her words and actions during the film would lead us to believe that she's much older than she is, and she actually seems to be the only one who knows what is really going on and how to deal with it from beginning to end.


Paddy Considine, who plays Johnny, isn't too shabby either. Actually, he was the character that made me clench my fists and hold my breath from beginning to end. While he tries to provide and care for his family during this huge transition, he also is struggling to get over the death of his son and still be the loving husband and father his family needs. Way too much, in my opinion. And the pressure doesn’t let up for the entire movie: living in a building inhabited by drug addicts, scarce work, medical problems, bills that can't be paid, guilt for the loss of a child, and children that miss their fun-loving father. Let me tell you, I think I'd want just about anyone else's place in this movie except Johnny's. Maybe even the pathetic, wandering drug addict who constantly bugs Johnny for money.


In America accurately depicts for its audience the extreme highs and also devastating lows that sometimes come simultaneously in the life of a family. One moment we're mourning with them over their losses, the next we're rejoicing with someone's small, yet significant, victory. They bravely attempt to deal with their past while at the same time enjoying the present and building towards their future.


Rating: 16

Because of my soft spot for heartwarming films that draw me in emotionally (in short, movies that make me bawl), I give this movie a 16. Not one of my list of favorites, but also not far from it. And I also appreciated that it wasn't a movie that said: "Betcha I can make you cry... Ha! Well, I proved my point. The End." No, this film wasn’t that unkind. Instead, we learn, along with the characters, that we have strengths that will carry us through the hard times, and also how to see blessings in disguise.

1 comment:

Wicked Little Critta said...

lol. It might be that you and I have opposite taste in movies. You might want to try Hope Springs... ;P (jk, don't)

I think that the word I use to describe this film is very "raw". There weren't a lot a film "frills" that we usually see in movies now, one example being music. I remember the music in this movie being very subtle, and many times absent. I liked that about it. It allowed the characters to speak for themselves.

In general, I find it very satisfying to experience the emotions that the actors portray, and for me, In America successfully allowed me to identify with almost every character.

I also love the theme of love and sacrifice, and that is something that you see in the end of the movie. They found love and support where other people probably would not have looked, and they were also able to give in circumstances where they didn't know they could. It just held such potential for good things to come out of bad situations, and I appreciated that.